Advertisement

Acrylic painting - getting started, paint colours, brushes, materials, basic techniques

Acrylic painting - getting started, paint colours, brushes, materials, basic techniques My name is Xanthe Wyse. I enjoy painting which I find therapeutic and it helps me manage bipolar disorder and post-traumatic stress disorder.

I am a hobby painter who has sold art. I had one art as therapy exhibition a few years ago and I am looking at having another this year. A lot of people comment on my paintings. I enjoy painting in lots of colour which I find therapeutic.

I have posted some other videos about how I paint therapeutically but listening to music that fits the theme so I don't analyse, just do. Abstracts are great for experimenting and not much equipment is needed starting out.

I paint using acrylics and I love bright colours. I use Atelier Interactive Acrylics which are an artist quality paint. I recommend using artist quality paint over student grade paint where possible as the pigmentation, colour and feel is superior. Although, use anything you can find at first. Expression with any materials is therapeutic.

In this video, I talk about some colour suggestions for starting out with acrylics and some materials.

I recommend experimenting with mixing colours on paper or canvas board, mixing only 2-3 colours at first with titanium white (for opaque coverage) or gel medium (gel medium dries clear and gives a glaze like effect like stained glass).

I use stretched canvases with sides that have already been primed with gesso (no frames needed). Experimented to find a brand I liked which I buy when on sale. I have also tried primed mdf board which also works well.

Start off using large brushes at first to stop fiddling.

Start off with Titanium white, a red, a blue and a yellow. Can be mixed to produce a lot of colours including browns.

I recommend starting with both pthalo blue and french ultramarine blue.

If you like a bright palette also add crimson and/or cadmium red as reds, cadmium yellow medium and/or acrylamide yellow light as yellow.

Green can be made by mixing yellow and blue. Orange can be made by mixing red and yellow. The purples will be more brown so if you want a brighter purple, look at adding dioxazine purple and/or quinacridone magenta.

Some more additions if you like a vibrant jewel coloured palette include pthalo green, pthalo turquoise. I tend to use Payne's grey as a dark which looks almost black. Rarely use black.

If you like a more earthy, traditional palette (for more 'natural' coloured landscapes and portraits, try more muted, brownish colours).

Use french ultramarine blue and pthalo blue for blues (recommend both).
Yellow ochre and perhaps indian yellow for yellow.
Try permanent alizarine for red.
Burnt sienna or indian red oxide for orange/red brown.
Burnt umber for dark brown.
Paynes grey for dark blue grey.
If you want a pre-mixed green, permanent sap green is bright but not as artificial as pthalo green. Otherwise mix greens with blue and yellow.
Purple is more muted than dioxazine purple.

Try using use two or three colours plus white in a painting. It will harmonise better and you will get a surprising number of colours with mixing.

Use a red, a yellow, a blue with titanium white.
Or complementary colours with titanium white:
A red or magenta plus a green.
Or a yellow plus a purple.
Or an orange (made from yellow and red) and a blue.

Make some colour charts so you get a feel for which colours to choose in a painting.

Let each layer dry before adding another layer - don't try to blend too much.
The blending is an illusion with layers interacting. If the paint is tacky, it will start to lift. Let it completely dry before adding another layer.

Use gel medium if you want a transparent effect like stained glass. This will work better with transparent paints (indicated on the tube). Add titanium white for more coverage and an opaque effect. I use student white underneath parts I want brighter.

Rinse brushes in water and blot with a rag so not too soggy.

Put some music on and experiment. Abstracts are great for not worrying about whether something looks right or not. Just do what you feel.

Paint in layers. If you want a layer to be very bright, can put white behind it. For a stained glass effect (glaze), use a little transparent paint with gel medium. For opaque coverage, mix with titanium white. Interesting effects happen when layering takes place as hints of previous layers show through, especially if they contrast.

Please don't copy someone else's artwork or photographs without permission. If you do for practice, don't try to sell it. There are plenty of art tutorials online. You don't need all their full range of paints and brushes they market but you can watch them for learning. Or try a small group class, but find someone who is encouraging as a teacher and allows you to develop your own style.

painting,acrylics,colours,colors,atelier interactive,art,starting,tips,brushes,materials,palettes,therapeutic,Xanthe Wyse,

Post a Comment

0 Comments